Saturday, May 10, 2014

Thoughts as I near the end

So, clearly it's been quite some time since I've last updated my blog. But, with so many trips, seminars, work, and just simply living like a local here in Israel, I am finding the weeks to be flying by and before I know it, I can't keep track of the days I've missed to write about them! 

Today, I decided to take a break from my job searching/resume tweaking/small self-pity parties about what my plans are in the coming months when I return from Israel, and write it on here. I need to learn to write in my journal more because I do like writing, but I also type a lot faster and this will help me get my thoughts out more quickly. 

I was reading an article called "Find Your Passion With These 8 Thought-Provoking Questions." Each section is very poignant but I thought I would just share a few of my favorites. 

1) Drop box founder Drew Houston once said '“The most successful people are obsessed with solving an important problem, something that matters to them. They remind me of a dog chasing a tennis ball.” To increase your chances of happiness and success, Houston said, you must “find your tennis ball--the thing that pulls you.”' Right now, that tennis ball is my love for my Jewish identity and my passion for Israel, which means becoming an activist when I return to the States.

2) "What is something you believe in that almost nobody agrees with you on?" I wouldn't say that nobody believes in the beauty Israel has to offer. On the contrary, minus the bogus BDS boycotts, many people, whether living here or not, are finding the value and meaningful journeys Israel takes its citizens or foreigners on. I have never been more excited about anything in my life than speaking up about what Israel has to offer, and what this country has given me while living here. One of my duties from my activist fellowship I am a part of is finding and connecting to a non-Jewish community back in the States and leading discussions about Israel. These discussions can be in any form we like, and however creative we want them to be. I know I may be met with a lot of opposition and negative opinions, but perhaps this is the kick I need in life - to show what I am truly passionate about and not back down from what I care about most.

3) “We learn who we are--in practice, not in theory--by testing reality.” This means rather than wallowing around thinking about my next move, I just need to get experience, even if it's not exactly in the teaching field. I think getting experience in various fields, and all over the world, is the best way to discover who you really are and what you're passionate about. The only thing I guess hanging me up from being able to pursue anything I please is finances. So, if I find a cool job that can start paying me a full-time salary, I'm set to go!

During Passover break, I was fortunate enough to travel all around Israel with mom and then travel throughout Spain. I'm hoping that once I find the time to sit down and either blog or write about those two trips, something will come to the forefront of my mind as to what intrigues me and what I am passionate about to pursue for a potential career. I already know many things that I am passionate about, but perhaps through more reflection, something else will surface. For now, I really want to keep these three questions in mind while I begin the pursuit of my future!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment